It is the policy of the Marathon Sick Children's Fund to provide financial assistance to any family of Marathon, Heron Bay and district, experiencing serious financial hardships as a result of travel costs to seek medical attention for a childs illness.
- Parents or guardians wishing to access the Fund will apply on our website. Applications will be reviewed by the Committee as soon as possible after they are received.
- The Committee will issue a cheque to the applicant immediately upon approval. The applicant will provide receipts to the Committee substantiating the total amount spent, as well as returning any unused funds, as soon as possible following the travel.
- The Fund, which is a registered charitable organization with the Canada Revenue Agency (#0827733-09), will solicit donations from the public as needed in order to provide the proper level of assistance. Donations will be accepted by any member of the executive or may be mailed to Box 375, Marathon.
- Each year the total amount of revenues, disbursements and the amount remaining in the Fund will be published in the Marathon Mercury.
- The applicant's confidentiality will be maintained. The applicant however, may choose to allow the Fund to utilize their name in the media.
- The applicant will provide the Committee with sufficient details of the child's illness to substantiate the extent of the financial need.
- Assistance may be made available to any family for a child aged 16 years or under, in Marathon, Heron Bay and district, who can demonstrate a need, provided sufficient monies in the Fund are available. Dependants over the age of 16 will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Expenses which will be reimbursed by the Fund are those not covered by any other source. Any government travel assistance or funding received from other sources, above the actual costs incurred and not accounted for in the application, are requested to be donated back to the Sick Childrens Fund.
- Receipts are required from recipients for all expenses. Further requests for funding will be put on hold if receipts from previous assistance have not been provided.
- The applicant consents to give the Committee the right and responsibility to investigate the need and determine the level of financial assistance.